Aldeburgh Manor is mentioned in the doomsday book as the residence of Wulfric, Soakman of Eadrick of Laxfield. The current buildings were created after it became a part of Snape Priory in 1150 AD, and Wolsey obtained the religious house in 1527. The main buildings date from 1530s, and were held by the Dukes of Essex and Suffolk (Howard Family) until 1609, when it was purchased by the Burghers of Aldeburgh. Aldeburgh Hall appear on a map of the 1580s in the British Library as the site of a watermill and the Aldeburgh boat building yard. Many famous ships were built in the 16th and 17th C here, including possibly the Pelican (Golden Hind), Marigold, Sea Venture and the Mayflower. The latter is mentioned in the Suffolk records as a whaler used on the Aldeburgh to Iceland route in 1609. To celebrate this ancient history the house was repaired and the large hall and 16th C fireplace redecorated, the new extensions were designed to provide additional accommodation on the footprint of the Great Barns that burnt down in the 1960s. The ship shaped timbers recall the site's history as a boat yard and the boat shed its site on the river bank up to the 19th C. The pool is located where the riverbank was once located. The oak frame recalls the traditional building techniques of the Snape and Aldeburgh Priory, the remains of which still can be found in Snape Abbey farm. The link between the old and new was achieved with a low link that contains the kitchens. The history of the site can be seen in the varied remains found loose in the garden.